Sunday, December 16, 2012

Toddler Stuff

So, Paxton got his top four teeth and his bottom four teeth right on schedule, but since then, he stalled out. I wasn't sure he was ever going to get his one-year molars, and he was quickly passing the acceptable timeframe for the next few teeth as well. I wasn't worried about him, I knew he would grow them eventually, but I was ready for him to be able to chew. A few days ago, I noticed that he had cut one of his top canine teeth, which I didn't even know was on the horizon. Then yesterday, I looked in his mouth (which is quite a challenging thing to do...we mostly have to sneak glances when he has his head thrown back laughing) and saw the top canine tooth that I had originally seen, the very tip of the other canine tooth, the bump of a top molar, part of a bottom molar and a very swollen spot where the second bottom molar is coming in as well as his next bottom tooth. This poor little guy is literally getting eight teeth all at once. We haven't noticed him acting any differently, he hasn't had a fever or been fussy or drooly, so I was very surprised to see all those little teeth in there! I think somebody deserves some ice cream tonight.

Last Sunday, we had fast food for lunch and Paxton got into one of the honey mustard packets we left out. He finger painted with it all over the couch and on the carpet. He also ate out of the container like a puppy. These are the kinds of situations that I just find myself laughing instead of trying to discipline...


Paxton has also figured out how to feed himself with a spoon. He has been able to put the spoon in his mouth for several months now, but honestly I don't let him try to use the spoon on his own very often...it's messy and he mostly eats finger foods anyway. But a few days ago, he seemed interested in trying on his own so I let him. He figured out the scooping method and was able to get his own bites a few times.


Apparently as first-time parents, we have been a little over-zealous with the ear thermometer. He loves this thing. Whenever we take his temperature, he mimics the beep before it happens and then says "again" over and over. He was playing with it while I was changing his diaper and he put it straight into his ear and made the beep noise.


He has actually been impressing us a lot lately with mimicking how to use things. I was folding his laundry last night and he grabbed a folded up washcloth and wiped his face with it. He also grabs his brush and brushes his hair, and one night he pulled the comb out and combed his hair. I'm not even sure how he knew what that was since we never use that. He will also point the remote at the TV and when nothing happens (Mickey doesn't magically appear), he hands the remote to us. He knows that's what makes Mickey happen. Sometimes, he takes one of our iPhones and puts it on the iPhone speakers. He has watched us turn music on like that and he will do it when he wants to hear music.

His two favorite things right now are Pat-a-cake and peekaboo. It is not our favorite when he plays peekaboo on spaghetti night.


He ended up with a completely orange face.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment