Sunday, September 28, 2014

Richmond, Norfolk and Virginia Beach

We are trying to take full advantage of the fact that we live so close to so many neat things to do, so last weekend, we decided it was time to check Richmond off the list. Jared had to be in Chesapeake, VA for a meeting on Monday but we wanted more time so we left Saturday morning. 

After a quick breakfast...
...we hit the road! Richmond was only about two hours, so we made it in time for lunch. 
We had heard good things about Carytown so that was our first stop. It was a neat area with lots of shops and restaurant and TONS of people. We stopped at a pizza place for lunch. 
As we were walking around after lunch, we saw a cupcake store and knew we had to stop. 
After some more walking around, we headed to Maymont Park. Everyone we talked to said we couldn't miss it. We walked around the zoo area for a little while which was nice, but it was lots of walking for only a few animals. Some of us couldn't handle it. 
We stopped for a water break. 
After Maymont, Jared really wanted to see Hollywood Cemetery. 
It was really pretty and historically interesting. As we were driving around the cemetery, we saw the river. It looked a lot cooler than we pictured it, so even though we had some tired boys, we decided to try it out. 
Paxton had a blast. He loved splashing and walking around and dropping leaves and rocks down the waterfall. Porter didn't like not being able to do everything Paxton did. 

For dinner, we tried a place called Honey Whyte's in downtown Richmond. By that time, the boys were exhausted...
Paxton was basically delirious...
We were going to try the hotel pool that night, but the boys had had enough. They went to bed while Jared and I watched the OU game. 

In the morning, we went to Dixie Donuts which is supposed to be one of the best breakfast places in the area and there happened to be one right across from our hotel. 
After breakfast, we started towards Virginia Beach. We stopped outside Norfolk at Air Power Park to see the airplanes and let the boys burn off some of the donut sugar.  
They played on the playground for a little while and then started asking for lunch. We went the rest of the way to Norfolk and stopped to look at the U.S.S. Wisconsin.  
Then we finished up the trip to Virginia Beach. We ate lunch at Pier 23 on the beach and watched the Blue Angels airplanes flying around. 
Then we went to the beach. 
After a packed weekend, we knew we needed an easy night that night, so we took the boys down to the hotel pool where Paxton threw Jared's wallet in the pool.  
The boys took a shower and changed into their pajamas and we ordered a pizza for dinner. Both boys were out by 8:00. Porter was up off and on all night with a tummy ache and ended up sleeping with us.

The next morning, Jared was up early to head to his meeting while the boys and I headed to the zoo. 

After losing my phone and listening to Paxton whine the whole morning, I decided to give in to their requests to play in the fountains. 
Two soaking wet boys cried the whole way to the car and after changing into dry clothes, we went to pick up Daddy and go home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment