Thursday, September 6, 2012

Grasping Straws

Ok, so I know this probably doesn't seem like that big of a deal to most people...but this was a big day in the Miller house! Paxton finally mastered the straw!!!


I think it comes naturally to most young toddlers (even infants maybe?), but it didn't to ours. We have been working with him since I realized that it wasn't completely normal that he couldn't do it yet, you know by putting our thumb over the end of the straw filled with the delicious liquid and then making him suck...well he got that down pretty naturally. So then, we switched to those sippy cups that have the straws...only he couldn't do it the right way. We had to take out the straw inside the cup and he would just tip it up and drink from it like a regular sippy cup. Since then, we gave up the pushing it thing. We realized his mouth worked and eventually he would get it...if not there's always the normal cup. Every once in awhile (pretty much every time we have a drink with a straw), he approaches us and tries to drink out of our straws...he can't at all. Then today, his kid's meal at Johnnie's came with a drink. That place has a severe lack of kid-friendly beverages, so I filled his cup with sweet tea, figuring it would just sit on the table. Well, after a few bites of burger, he started fussing for a drink. Before I pulled out his sippy of watered down juice, I gave the sweet tea a try. I put the straw in his mouth, his lips closed around it completely naturally and the kid started sucking! I might have had a mini freak out right there in the booth at Johnnie's. He makes me proud.

(and he might have consumed an entire kids cup of sweet tea in about ten minutes...but I probably wouldn't admit that)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. Aw, that is so cute! I love the pictures. I think kid's make the cutest faces when they're sipping out of a straw, but I haven't caught it on camera with Wyatt yet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Pax!! I love how he is holding his little hand out. So sweet!!

    ReplyDelete