Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Paxton's Speech

Paxton's speech has just exploded lately! We have been so impressed with how many phrases he is saying and how many new words he can understandably say. He always tries to repeat new phrases that we say and some of them are pretty adorable. 
I was really surprised tonight. I took a batch of cookies out of the oven and Pax came over and asked for one. I told him they were really hot and we needed to wait for them to cool. He got a big smile on his face and said "I want to blow on them." It was awesome because I think it was his first complete sentence that he formed on his own (instead of just repeating a canned sentence) and I love that he problem-solved!

Later, I was getting him ready for bed and Jared was in the other room singing. All of a sudden, Pax got really quiet and said "I hear Daddy singing 'Get ready, get ready, Elmo ready for skoo, thanks you'" which was, in fact, what Jared was singing. So not only was I so impressed that he made a sentence, it was also one of the first times that he's actually sang words to a song instead of just making sounds to the tune. 

I'm loving watching him learn how to communicate and it's so neat to see how excited he gets when he realizes how cool it is that we understand him. 

The other thing that is surprising me lately is his memory. There is a Mickey episode that he has been watching lately where a marshmallow is one of the mousekatools. Every time he sees it, he says "Mommy and Daddy and Paxton threw marshmallows at Grandpa Mark's house." And he's right. I was making cookies a few weeks before Christmas and a marshmallow fight ensued. I can't believe he still remembers it! He also talks about tiny details from people's houses or mundane events that happened. It's so crazy to think that in the past he was probably trying to talk about these things and we just couldn't understand him. 

I just have to scoop him up and tell him how proud I am of him multiple times a day because I really am. I have been so worried about him getting caught up in time for school and being able to communicate with us and it's just so awesome to see it start to click for him. I know he still has a long way to go, but he has made such huge improvements just in the last two days!

No comments:

Post a Comment